Watch: A Video Message from Eve Ensler — 1 Billion Will Rise in 1 Week
In one week, Eve Ensler’s exciting project, One Billion Rising, will culminate in 48 hours of striking, dancing and rising. The project is a movement to raise global awareness and combat violence against women. 197 countries will be taking part in this event.
In her video, Ensler said she wants to make stopping violence against women the center of the global agenda, and she hopes everyone takes a pledge on February 14, regarding what they are going to personally do to end this violence.
She also mentions the importance of dancing on that day:
I think it’s really important that when we dance, we think about what dance is and why dance is important. I think most of us women, we don’t wear what we want. We don’t go where we want at any time of the day. We don’t move the way we want because we are always afraid at some level of being attacked or harassed or hurt or raped or invaded. And when we dance on the 14 th the whole idea is we break out of this cage of patriarchy, of fear, of intimidation, and we blast open the boundaries that have kept ourselves, kept our creativity, kept our vision, kept our bodies in prison.
It is not too late to host your own One Billion Rising event. Ensler provided these guidelines:
· Dance & Invite Your Friends to DANCE! There are so many universal songs people are dancing to for One Billion Rising! We have music from Delhi, to the Philippines, to the United Arab Emirates. So listen, stream, download, and dance! Dance anywhere, forget structure, just dance! Dance with drums, DJ’s, anytime of day, in your living room, in your wheelchair, or on the bus or in front of parliament or in the hallways of your workplace. Be bold, daring, disruptive!
· Do A Flash Mob! Flash mobs are a great way to get people who don’t know about One Billion Rising to stop, watch, and ask questions about what is happening and why you are dancing. Here are some great One Billion Rising Flash Mobs and instructional videos from all over the world!
-DOWNLOAD the English & Spanish Versions of BREAK THE CHAIN
· Live Stream & Document! We want you to share with the world what you are doing on 14 February! CHECK OUT our "How to" and see your event along side people rising from around the world
· Engage the Media! Now that you've organized your event, learn some tips on how to get the media to cover your event! LEARN some media tips
· Wear Red & Black! Dress in One Billion Rising colors to let people know you are part of a movement!!
· Strike - Moment of Solidarity. Choose a time during the day to take a moment, join together with your colleagues, fellow students, family members, and friends, and leave your workplaces, schools, and homes and be together as one.
If you are in the Bay Area, please attend AlterNet’s event in Berkeley, CA.
When: Thursday, February 14, 2013 from 6 to 8 p.m.
Where: AlterNet's new offices @ 1881 Harmon Street in Berkeley (cross-street is Adeline), one block South of Ashby BART station.