10 Remarkably Stupid, Right-Wing Statements About the Shutdown and Obamacare
Photo Credit: Christopher Halloran/Shutterstock.com
1. Tex. Gov. Rick Perry: Implementing Affordable Healthcare is a Criminal Act
“If this heath care law is forced upon this country, the young men and women in this audience are the ones who are really going to pay the price. And that, I suggest to you, reaches the point of being a felony toward them and their future. That is a criminal act, from my perspective.”
The Lone-Star Gov. may need a wee bit of schooling in criminal law.
2. Betsy McCaughey, conservative “thinker”: Obama Wants Your Sexual History
The so-called Liberty Belle wrote in a column for the New York Post: “Are you sexually active? If so, with one partner, multiple partners or same-sex partners?’ Be ready to answer those questions and more next time you go to the doctor.”
Someone needs to tell her that that is what doctors do. Already. And that, yeah, sexual history is part of health care.
3. Sen. Mitch McConnell, Kentucky: “The president is more than willing to negotiate with the Iranians. I don’t know why he isn’t willing to negotiate with us.”
Are you sure that you want to compare Congressional Republicans to hardline mullahs? I think we’re beginning to understand which group is the more reasonable.
4. Laura Ingraham: “Sob stories” from injured vets unable to get care because of the government shutdown, will make the GOP cave.
Oh God, yeah. Either that or kids with cancer who can’t get treatment at the NIH. What a bunch of whiners.
5. CNN’s Wolf Blitzer: There’s a lot of blame to go around in Washington.
Well, Wolf, the blame doesn’t really go all the way around. It pretty much stops with the right-wing fringe of the Republican party.
6. Rep. David Schweikert (Arizona Republican): Government shutdown is “my idea of fun.”
What other hobbies do you enjoy? Robbing old ladies and pushing wheelchair-bound people down the stairs?
7. Rep. William O’Brien (Republican, New Hampshire) : Obamacare is Like the Fugitive Slave Act.
How so, exactly? And gee, do you think the racial connotations here are a coincidence?
8. Sen. Rand Paul: We haven’t had a big debate about Obamacare.
Dear Mr. Paul, Perhaps you can get your memory loss treated under …. hmmm … what? Obamacare?
9. Rep. Todd Rokita, (Republican, Tennessee): “We just want to help the American people get through one of the most insidious laws created by man, that is Obamacare.”
Wow, that puts it above slavery, Jim Crow laws, the Indian Removal Act, Japanese Internment, and that’s just in America. It’s also worse than the Nuremberg laws, laws allowing female genital mutilation, and laws allowing non-virgin brides to be returned.
10. Rep. Marsha Blackburn (Republican, Tennessee): “People are probably going to realize they can live with a lot less government than what they thought they needed.”
Yeah, who needs those silly food inspectors or plane inspectors or frivolous cancer treatments or meals for poor children? Fingers crossed about no natural catastrophes!